“There is absolutely no question that the world turns around a spinning ball.” – Eduardo Galeano
Aspiring football journalist? Informed fan? Esteemed blogger? Just Football is always on the lookout for new contributors and fresh perspectives on the world game.
We’re currently on the lookout for new writers, creative and designers to bring fresh ideas and push the site forward. While you don’t have to be a seasoned professional journalist to write for Just Football, we look for writers with some level of experience, or a very detailed knowledge of the game and a keen analytical eye.
Whether it’s the Premier League, the Bundesliga, Africa, Asia, tactics, economics and finance, scouting reports or photojournalism and video content creation, or any other category, it’s important to write with a sense of knowledge that sparks the intellectual curiosity of our readers, as well as write with a certain flair that can appeal.
Unlike several mainstream newspaper websites and magazines who have sizeable budgets but still refuse to pay writers, our ultimate aim is to reward our best contributors with paid work. While not possible at the moment, our established and growing reputation is the main reason why we are looking to expand the team. When the site grows to a level to be able to reward our best writers, and if you are part of helping us get there, you will be paid for your work.
We are looking for people to come in at an editorial level, to help shape the future of Just Football and bring fresh ideas and perspectives.
- Contributing Editor. An opportunity to shape the editorial direction of Just Football. You should be brimming with ideas and creativity and have writing, editing and CMS (WordPress preferably) experience, as well as a very strong grasp of the English language and grammar. You will be expected to edit, source and publish content daily, upload images, attract and commission writers and contribute to the general planning and execution of our and your vision for Just Football going forward (idea generation/producing features etc). You will also of course have a flair for writing on different aspects of world football, depending on your area of expertise.
- Sub-Editor. Like above but with less responsibilities. You will be expected to help develop and create new features and work with the editor (Jonathan F) to help in any publishing/editing duties, as well as write regular articles on different aspects of world football. Priority in this position will be given to those with graphic design experience (Adobe, Photoshop, Indesign etc).
- League specific editors. We are currently looking for league specific editors for the following leagues and regions: England lower leagues (Championship to League Two), France Ligue 1, German Bundesliga, Spain La Liga, Dutch Eredivisie, Portuguese Primeira Liga, International football (England, England U21s and youth + World Cup 2018), South America and Africa. You will be charged with writing regular news and features covering the league, organising, pitching and commissioning writers and working with our other editors to lead the site forward in 2017/18. Priority will be given to native speakers/those living in the country and those who have experience writing for / running websites covering the league/region previously.
- News desk. We’re looking for people who can be available to write reasonably short (300-500 words) news pieces covering the major breaking stories. These might be big or small stories, transfer news, political developments or anything else specific to world football. Naturally these posts will be news-led but will also require commentary and/or analysis. If you’re talented and putting stories into context, get in touch.
- Video editor + graphic design. To drive forward as we expand into multimedia. Must be good with creating videos/graphics for social media and YouTube/Vimeo (compilations, player profiles etc).
If you have experience of running a site or detailed knowledge of WordPress and want to thrive in a role that will allow you to express your creativity as well as look excellent on your CV, email us with credentials, ideas and qualifications to writing at just-football.com.
— Just Football (@JustFootball) June 1, 2016
Writing for Just Football is a great way to raise your profile and boost your online portfolio. Your work will be read by tens of thousands of weekly readers and you’ll be part of a team that is genuinely passionate about football in all corners of the globe.
We’ll credit you for everything you write, naturally, and provide links and love to your own personal blogs, raising your profile within the world of football journalism. In the past our writers have gone on to positions at Opta, FourFourTwo, When Saturday Comes and The Guardian, among others. Just Football truly is a space where your work will be noticed.
FC Barcelona / Real Madrid columnist (once a fortnight)
Premier League feature and news writers (Leicester City, Arsenal, Spurs, Manchester City, Manchester United, Everton, Liverpool and Chelsea in particular)
Community – our section covering football in the community
Play – our section dedicating to coaching and youth development
Fan Culture – our fan culture section focussing on subculture within the beautiful game
German Bundesliga / English Premier League / La Liga / French Ligue 1 / Portugal Liga Sagres
MLS / Campeonato Brasileiro / Turkey / Greece / Russia / Ukraine
Africa (Ghana, Egypt, Nigeria, East/South Africa)
Scandinavian football (Norway/Denmark/Sweden)
CONMEBOL (Argentina/Brazil/Uruguay/Chile, Copa Libertadores) / Mexico & Central America
Football history (player profiles/classic teams/matches) – anywhere in the world
as well as Football finance, politics, culture and society.
CREATIVE / DESIGNERS
We are looking for web savvy graphics and logo designers as well as WordPress/web design experts to help us create exciting new logos, graphics and infographics for the site. If you are a master at Photoshop and want to help us with one-off bits and pieces that would probably take you 10 minutes, please let us know.
We are also looking for an in-house WordPress expert and web designer. This is, potentially, a paid position depending on commitment and skill. Send us a CV or email just-football at live dot com including a sample of your work (portfolio etc) to apply.
NB – And this is important: please specify which role you are applying for in the header of your mail.
We look forward to hearing from you!